Whether you embark on a weekend, 5-day, or week-long escape to the rugged and breathtaking landscapes of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, we have you covered. It doesn’t matter if you are a nature enthusiast, a history buff, or just seeking a serene retreat; this choose-your-own-adventure itinerary promises an unforgettable adventure. Strap in for a whirlwind journey through scenic vistas, charming towns, and outdoor wonders with our Upper Peninsula Michigan itinerary DIY.
Step One: Length of Stay
The journey’s first step is to decide how long your adventure will last. At Freshwater Vacation Rentals, we can accommodate most travel lengths. From weekend getaways to a whole week of vacation, we have an incredible selection of vacation rentals for you to choose from.
Step Two: Choose a Home Base
Next, you must choose a home base for your Upper Peninsula holiday. A cozy cabin is perfect for those couples who want to reconnect. Large lakeside manors are ideal for epic family vacations. Find a UP vacation rental that fits the needs of your splendid getaway.
Step Three: What to Do?
There are many amazing activities, things to do, and places to see on the Upper Peninsula. Michigan is a four-season destination offering visitors something to do all year. Select one to two of these incredible activities to add to each day of your trip. Take the weather conditions into account and estimate the needed amount of time for each activity. In addition to the things to do listed below, there are also museums, local shops, and more.
- Whitewater Rafting: most people don’t think about whitewater rafting in the Upper Peninsula. This fun and exciting activity near the Wisconsin border is one that you will never forget.
- Kayaking: Discover some of our favorite kayaking tours in our favorite locations. This family-friendly activity is easy and accessible.
- Fishing: Whether you are a novice or an expert, fishing is one of our favorite things to do in this wild and wonderful region. There are plenty of lakes, rivers, and streams waiting for you to cast your line.
- Northern Lights: Latitude and low light pollution are the best indicators for experiencing the Northern Lights. That’s why the Upper Peninsula is the perfect place in the Wolverine State for viewing.
- Lighthouses: Every lighthouse in the Upper Peninsula helps thousands of shipping vessels navigate the waters near our state and provides visitors with a collection of beautiful sights. See how many you can discover on your trip to the UP!
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore: Every visitor needs to have Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on their Upper Peninsula Michigan itinerary. This stunning stretch of coastline offers some of the best outdoor recreation and sightseeing in the entire state.
- Waterfalls: There are endless opportunities for exploring this vast and beautiful wilderness, and you need to experience at least one of the best waterfalls in the UP.
- Hidden Gems: We know crafting the perfect itinerary can be challenging. Don’t be afraid to venture off the beaten beat with one of our top hidden gems. You won’t want to miss out on these incredible secrets.
- Fall Foliage: The magical display of fall color in the Upper Peninsula arrives each year. From the mountains to the shores of Lake Superior, we compiled a list of our favorite places to see the warm hues of fall foliage in the wild and wonderful UP.
Winter Snow Sports
- Skiing: Skiing is one of our favorite things to do when snow is on the ground. There are plenty of mountain ski areas with great slopes across the UP.
- Snowmobiling: Snowmobiling is an unforgettable experience that will have you returning to this gorgeous outdoor oasis repeatedly. A network of over 3,000 maintained snowmobile trails in the UP fuels this unique and engaging activity.
- Enjoy the Snow: There are plenty of ways to enjoy the snow, whether exploring frozen waterfalls or soaking in a local festival. Discover some of our favorite cold–weather activities in the northern region of our great state.
Step Four: Where to Eat?
Now that you have decided on which activities will fill your days, it is time to add where you would like to eat to your Upper Peninsula Michigan itinerary. There are a plethora of great restaurants, wineries, and breweries to explore.
- Takeout: If you don’t feel like sitting down to eat, we have you covered. We’ve compiled a list of restaurants with the best takeout in the UP, including casual food, beer, and desserts. These are also great options while you are on the go during the day.
- Restaurants: After a day of outdoor adventures on the UP, you may be ready to sit down to a delicious sit-down dinner. Check our list of recommended restaurants that feature a variety of cuisines from around the world. Grab breakfast, lunch, or dinner from one of these fantastic dining options.
- Wineries: The wineries in the Upper Peninsula provide a memorable experience for those wanting to get a taste of local flavors. Savor classic reds and whites in addition to the many specialty fruit wines.
- Breweries: If you’re a beer lover, then you are in the right place. The UP is home to some of the best breweries in the country. But don’t take our word for it! Try them for yourself.
Step Five: Enjoy Your UP Vacation!
You are set up for success now that you have a complete Upper Peninsula Michigan itinerary for your next trip. Pack your bags, load the car, and start your adventure ASAP!
If you want to explore other Michigan road trip options, click here. We have vacation rentals throughout the entire state, and we can’t wait to help you find the ideal accommodations for your needs.