Keweenaw's Houghton Haven Houghton
KEWEENAW'S HOUGHTON HAVEN
SLEEPS: 18 MAX (15 in standard beds)
BATHROOMS: 5 (3 full + 2 half-baths)
*LAKEFRONT (Houghton Canal, connecting Lake Superior and the Portage Lake)
*SWIMMING: Houghton City Park- Chutes and Ladders - 1 minute drive/ 10-minute walk (0.5 of a mile) to a sandy beach
*WATER-TOYS included: June-September (2 individual kayaks, 3 person, 20 foot canoe. Standard life jackets and paddles included. (Please bring your own child life jackets.)
Perfect for family get-togethers, micro-weddings, small corporate or group retreats. Featured in Log Home Living Magazine-- Be prepared for your breath to be taken away with this 4000 sq. ft. gorgeous, luxury waterfront (Houghton Canal which links Lake Superior and the Portage Lake) home. This is an ideal location for boating and water sports, with a private dock (June-September only).
This is a true winter wonderland full of activities of all kinds. Enjoy the snow sports, with immediate access to both the canal and groomed snowmobiling/ ATV + cross-country ski trails.
Enjoy this large, luxury home with over 4,000 square feet of privacy and relaxation. The home sits on almost a full acre of waterfront (Houghton Canal) property. This property has three (3) levels with bedroom on each level, a separate indoor sauna, gaming and private bar/tavern room with gorgeous woodwork, hand-made by local artisans. Full chef's kitchen, laundry, Keweenaw Stone & Copper fireplace in great-room on the main floor.
Don't miss taking a selfie in the genuine Moose Antler Burl Throne!
Theater/Recreation room in the lower level allows for the ultimate relaxation with a reclining couch, queen futon and air hockey table.
Perfect for family get-togethers, micro-weddings, small corporate or group retreats.
Close to both Michigan Tech (MTU) and Finlandia University. We require all booked guests to be over the age of 25 with proof of ID and full guest list (with proof of ID) upon request. Great for families visiting their college student. This is NOT a home for university events or parties, per our house rules. NO 1 night stays. Only 3-4 night minimum stays will be accepted.
Activities & Local Attractions:
• Copper Harbor: At the very tip of the Keweenaw peninsula. Very scenic & picturesque. Checkout Fort Wilkins Historic State Park while you are there
• A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum: (https://museum.mtu.edu/) Great minerals & exhibits
• Quincy Mine Tour: This is a really great guided tour of the Quincy mine. Go into a mine that was active & producing copper during the Civil War. Very impressive!
• Delaware Copper Mine Tours: Self-guided tour of the Delaware mine. Lots of stairs & less polished than the Quincy mine, but still awesome to go underground & see the life of a miner.
• Calumet Waterworks Park: Great beach park with great west views. Has both rocks & sand, so there is something for everyone. Look for agates, yooperlites, & fossils.
• 5 Mile Point Road: Beautiful drive along the west shore of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Stop at Eagle Harbor & the Jam Lady & The Jampot bakery. Careful of the fruitcake…it is boozy!
• Brockway Mountain: Beautiful vistas from the highest point in the Keweenaw. Great for Fall colors.
• Isle Royal: Take a ferry or seaplane from downtown Houghton or Copper Harbor to Isle Royal. This is not a quick day trip as the shortest ferry trip is 3.5h long. The island is very remote & rural but has great hikes & camping.
• Gratiot River Park: Heidi’s favorite rock picking beach. Lots of agates!
• Downhill Skiing: There are several downhill ski options in the area (Mt Ripley & Mt Bohemia). See http://https://www.keweenaw.info/recreation/downhill-ski/for more information.
• Cross Country Skiing/snowshoe/mountain bike trails: The Keweenaw has many great trails that can be used year-round. In summer, these are great mountain biking trails. In winter, these are great for cross country skiing or snowshoeing. See https://keweenawtrails.com/trails-maps/ for more information.
• Snowmobiling: There are many great trails for snowmobiling in the area. See https://www.keweenaw.info/recreation/snowmobile/ for more information.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Air Conditioning (2 portable units-- NOT central air-conditioning): Keeping the home cool in the Upper Peninsula is generally not necessary. On hot days in the summer, we find opening windows, using the ceiling fans, & placing a few box fans in windows helps to bring in cool air. We also offer 2 portable A/C units which are capable of cooling a single bedroom, but not the entire house.
Airport/ Airlines: United Airlines: Houghton County Memorial Airport/ Hancock (CMX) 16 minutes (9.0 miles)
ATV's: Yes, you are welcome to bring your ORV. There are trails nearby.
Bathroom: 3 full baths, 2 half baths.
Main Floor - 1 Full bath in master bedroom (combination tub/shower)
1 Half bath
Upper Level - 1 Full bath (Shower)
Lower Level - 1 Full bath, heated floors, (Shower)
Lower Level - 1 Half Bath
Beach/Swimming: The nearest traditional beach can be found at the Houghton City Park- Chutes and Ladders - 1 minute drive/ 10-minute walk (0.5 of a mile) to a sandy beach.
Master Bedroom: Main Level,1 Queen bed, and office off of bedroom has a futon
Bedroom #2: Upper Level, 1 Queen & 1 Twin
Bedroom #3: Upper Level, 1 Queen
Bedroom #4: Lower Level, 1 Queen & 1 Twin Bunkbed
Bedroom #5: Lower Level, 1 Queen & 1 Twin Bunkbed
Boats: Two single-person kayaks & one three-person canoe are available for your use. Use at your own risk. Should you wish to look into boat rental during your stay, Markham's Marina is located just down Canal Rd. We’d suggest you contact them at (906) 482-9394 & see about boat rentals. There are also several other companies in the area, however; Markham’s is the closest to the house. Boating can be dangerous. Lifejackets must be worn at all times & all boating safety regulations must be followed. We are not responsible for any accidents or injury that may occur during your stay, should you choose to use the kayaks, canoe or you rent a boat.
Cell phone service: AT&T works well here
* Airport - Houghton County Memorial Airport/ Hancock (CMX) 16 minutes (9.0 miles)
* Finlandia University (0.6 of a mile)
* Iron Mountain: 2 hours ( 114 miles)
* Ishpeming: 1 hour 40 minutes ( 87 miles)
* Mackinac Bridge: 4 hours and 30 minutes away ( 262 miles)
* Marquette: 2 hours (100 miles)
* Michigan Technological University (MTU)- 7 minutes (2.5 miles)
* Pictured Rocks: 2 hours and 45 minutes (145 miles)
* Tahquamenon Falls State Park: 4 hours 10 minutes ( 232 miles)
Dock: During the summer months (June through September), we have a private dock & boat lift that can be used during your stay. Please exercise caution anytime around the water. Children must be supervised & wear lifejackets. We are not responsible for damages to you or your equipment if you choose to use the dock or waterfront. Use at your own risk.
Fireplace: Natural gas fireplace. The fireplace uses natural gas & is operated via remote control.
Fishing: Yes, owner said he has seen lots of fish swimming by the dock and a lot of fishermen out on the canal.
Fishing License: You can purchase your fishing license online at http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Welcome/Default.aspx
Fishing poles: Please bring your own.
Game room: The lower level has a game/theater room which is where the TV is located. It also includes a recliner sofa.
Grill: Propane grill. Please be cautions not to get the grill too close to the house or deck railing (melting has happened in the past).
Grocery Store: Located within 10 minutes- Walmart, Jim's Food Mart, Festival Foods, Pat's Foods & Tadych's Econofoods.
Handicap Friendly: This property is not handicap-friendly.
Internet: Yes, we have internet/ WiFi
Linens: Yes, we provide your sheets and linens. Just like a hotel, the beds will be made for you upon arrival. If you are fussy about the thread count of your sheets, just let me know, and I’ll make sure we leave a bed open for your sheets. We have just the basic sheets, pillows, pillowcases and bath towels.
Parking: Due to the driveway location & proximity to the water, parking is limited. We find 3-4 cars can fit in the driveway & still have turn around room.
• Be cautious of the steep drop-off to the water when backing up
Privacy: There is a neighbor on one side about a 1/4 mile away. In the opposite direction, down the road, is UPPCO (Upper Peninsula Power Company).
Smoking: There is no smoking of any kind inside the home. While we prefer you generally smoke off the property, if you do smoke, we kindly ask that you properly dispose of any residue/waste in the proper receptacles.
Snowmobiles: Yes, due to safety concerns, please only enter the canal by the sea wall from designated areas
Space: 3 Level Home
Televisions: 1 smart TV w/Roku player in the lower level. There is NOT traditional cable TV with a box.
Towels: Yes, we provide bath towels. It's always good to bring extra though.
Washer and dryer: A full-sized front-loading washer and full-sized dryer is provided for your use. Detergent is provided.
- Air conditioner unit (window or portable unit)
- Air Hockey table
- Basic Paper Products (Paper Towel & TP)
- Blow Dryer
- Board Games
- Box Fans
- Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Ceiling fans
- Fireplace -Gas (with Remote Control)
- Heat: Boiler System
- Internet/ WiFi
- Iron & Ironing board
- Linens & Towels included
- Log Cabin
- Smart TV or TV with Roku, Chromecast, Streaming Abilities
- Smoke Detectors
- Washer & Dryer (plus Detergent and Dryer Sheets)
- Cleaning Supplies
- Cooking and Baking Pans
- Dishwasher (plus Detergent)
- Hand Mixer
- Ice maker
- Keurig---bring your own K-cups
- Soaps (Hand & Dish Soap)
- Small Food Processor
- Standard Kitchenware & Utensils
- Toaster Oven
- Canoe or Kayak included
- Kayak Included
- Lawn Games
- Patio Chairs
- Private Boat Dock
- Snowmobile from Property
- Swimming on Property
- ATV allowed
|2023||01/01/2023 - 12/31/2023||7||$499.00|
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, Robert! We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving stay with us, and found the home to be comfortable, and able to provide you with easy access to to all of the things Houghton has to provide! Hopefully we can have you back in the future!
Gayle, we're glad that you had such a good stay. Thank you for your feedback. It's very helpful for us. We hope to work with you again.
Ann, we agree, the views at Keweenaw's Houghton Haven are amazing. We're so glad that you got to spend some time there and hope that you come back again!
Write a Review