Houghton Lake Chalet
HOUGHTON LAKE CHALET
*LAKEFRONT (Houghton Lake)
*SWIMMING ON PROPERTY
*PETS are WELCOMED
*PRIVATE 68 FOOT DOCK (June-September only)
*FOR LARGER GROUPS--Rent 2 cottages together! We also rent out the cottage next door-Houghton Lake Hideaway! Check it out here!
Michigan's largest inland lake, Houghton Lake, is the perfect spot for your next Michigan vacation! Houghton Lake Chalet is a great place to soak in the fun of Northern Michigan. Enjoy this classic cottage along a quiet street, with neighbors a comfortable distance apart on both sides. Houghton Lake is a popular destination to enjoy summer fun with your family. When you enter the cottage, you enter the cottage with the open kitchen on one side and the open dining area directly facing Houghton Lake. Attached to the dining area is the living room which encompasses the large windows overlooking the lake. Off the kitchen, there are 2 bedrooms on this main floor. Each room has a Queen bed. The bathroom on this level has been recently renovated to include a large shower, toilet and sink. A washer and dryer are also located within the bathroom.
To climb to the upper level, you'll need to have good balance and steady feet as you climb up the spiral staircase. We advise small children to sleep on the main level to avoid this staircase. This old-school, metal spiral staircase leads to 2 bedrooms with a 1/2 bathroom (toilet & sink) between the bedrooms. Each upstairs bedroom has 2 twin XL beds convertible to a King. This is an ideal space for your teens.
Houghton Lake is generally shallow for approximately the first 150 feet, so kids and adults alike enjoy wading and exploring the water, sometimes up to 100 feet from shore. The sandy bottom beach is ideal for your family getaway.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Air Conditioning: There is not air conditioning at this property, but there are portable fans and a nice cross breeze!
Bathroom: 1 full bathroom with shower only
2 half bathroom
Beach/Swimming: While kids generally love to swim in front the cottage, they do need to climb down the new stairs from the dock and into the water. There are rocks along the shoreline. Water shoes are highly recommended. There is not a sandy beach on the shoreline, though there is a sandy bottom of the lake at Houghton Lake.
Main Floor-Bedroom #1- 1 queen size bed
Bedroom #2- 1 queen size bed
Upstairs-Bedroom #3- 2 twin XL size beds - convertible to a King
Bedroom #4- 2 twin XL size beds - convertible to a King
Boats: There are no boats provided, however, below are some places you can visit to obtain a boat for your stay!
- Located behind the Rite Aid is a DNR boat launch. This can be used with a DNR Permit.
- Another DNR Boat Launch is located at Lantz Landing on Old 27 next to Comfort Suites. This landing also requires a DNR Permit.
- Lapham’s Marina is a private launch site which can be used for a small fee. Located off County Rd. 100 on Marina Dr. across from Roscommon County Airport (989)366-7763.
- Located at Whitney Court, there is a DNR launch site on County Rd. 100. This can be used with a DNR Permit.
- There is a site at the Sullivan Beach, located behind Chase Bank on Park St off M-55, in Prudenville.
- L & G Boat Rentals @Heights Marina 900 Shoreline Dr., Houghton Lake, MI 48629. 989-429-5575
- Brian's Lakeside Marina, Inc 8320 W. Houghton Lake Dr., Houghton Lake, MI. 989-422-6720
- Macon Marine 1552 W. Houghton Lake Dr., Prudenville, MI. 989-202-4844
- Houghton Lake Marina & Power 13710 W. Shore Drive, Houghton Lake, MI. 989-422-7257 ** No website, however they rent pontoon and fishing boats
- Korbinski's Marine & Lakeview Motel 364 W. Houghton Lake Dr., Prudenville, MI.=989-366-5306
Cable/Satellite TVs: Yes! There is cable tv.
Cell phone service: Good
* Detroit: 3 hours and 15 minutes ( 190 miles)
* Grand Rapids: 2 hours 10 minutes (130 miles)
* Lansing: 2 hours (125 miles)
* Saginaw: 1 hour and 45 minutes (105 miles)
* Traverse City: 1 hour (60 miles)
* Mackinac Bridge: 1 hour 10 minutes (100 miles)
Dock: Enjoy your private 68 foot dock! Feel free to bring your own water vessels as well!
Fishing: Walleye, Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass, Perch & more.
Fishing License: You can purchase your fishing license online here!
Fishing poles: Please bring your own poles!
Grill: There is a propane grill! Propane is provided.
Grocery Store: 1/2 mile away is the Four Seasons General Store, which stocks basic items such as: liquor, beer, donuts, and bait! The nearest full-service grocery store is 20 minutes away on the south side of the lake.
Handicap Friendly: Yes. There is a zero entry way into the cabin
Internet: Yes! Free wi-fi for guests
Linens: Yes, we provide your sheets and linens. Just like a hotel, the beds will be made for you upon arrival. If you are fussy about the thread count of your sheets, just let me know, and I’ll make sure we leave a bed open for your sheets. We have just the basic sheets, pillows, pillow cases and bath towels.
Parking: 2-3 cars are able to park
Pets: Your pet is welcome! Freshwater Vacation Rentals currently charges $50/per pet for your entire stay. Yes, we do accept dogs, yet we do ask that you please clean up after them both inside and outside the cabin. Plus, if you allow them on the furniture, we do ask that you please bring your own linens/blankets for them to sleep on. Just let us know which bed you will be using with them, and we’ll make sure it is ready for your sheets when you arrive. Plus, if the pet hair starts to build, we do ask that you please run the vacuum. Generally, dogs love the water and places to explore. Pet food does tend to attract mice, so vigilance is needed.
Privacy: There are cottages right next door.
Space: Two floors. A set of bedrooms upstairs. All main living areas are on main floor.
Towels: Yes, we provide towels. It's always good to bring extra though.
Washer and dryer: Yes! Laundry Soap is provided for guests!
Wood: Guests should purchase firewood at the nearby store for use during your stay.